What qualifies as “investment” as per the Portuguese law on the foreigners nr. 23/2007
As per the Portuguese law, Investment activity means any activity carried out personally or through a company. This activity must be in the territory of Portugal and for a minimum period of 5 years. Finally, as a rule, the activity must lead to at least one of the following results (1~8 below).
The most frequently utilized investment options:
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 1 500 000 EUR;
- Creation of at least 10 jobs;
- Acquisition of real estate with a value equal to or greater than 500 000 EUR;
Options that allow reduced investment:
- Acquisition of real estate property, the construction of which has been completed at least 30 years ago or is located in an urban rehabilitation area and carrying out rehabilitation works of the acquired property, in a total amount equal to or greater than 350 000 EUR;
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 500 000 EUR, which is used for research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated in the national scientific and technological system;
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 250 000 EUR, which is used for investment or support for artistic production, recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage, through central and peripheral direct administration services, public institutes, entities that integrate the public business sector, public foundations, private foundations with public utility status, inter-municipal entities, entities that integrate the local business sector, municipal associative entities and public cultural associations, which pursue assignments in the area of artistic production, recovery or maintenance national cultural heritage;
- Capital transfer in an amount equal to or greater than 500 000 EUR, intended for the acquisition of participation units in investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies, which are constituted under Portuguese legislation, whose maturity, at the time of investment, is at least five years and, at least 60% of the value of the investments is carried out in commercial companies based in the national territory;
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 500 000 EUR, intended for the constitution of a commercial company with head office in Portugal. The investment must also lead to the creation of five permanent jobs in Portugal. It may also be used to reinforce the share capital of an existing company in Portugal through creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years.